Myanmar, USAID and earthquake
Digest more
Top News
Overview
Event details
The Baltimore Sun |
The World Health Organization said more than 10,000 buildings are known to have collapsed or been severely damaged in central and northwest Myanmar.
CNN |
Myanmar’s ruling military government has announced a temporary ceasefire in operations against armed opposition groups to aid recovery efforts following Friday’s devastating earthquake.
Reuters |
Just before last week's earthquake of magnitude 7.7 that killed almost 2,900 people, the junta chief was readying for a rare foreign visit to a regional summit in Thailand, as aides worked the phones...
Read more on News Digest
Recovery efforts from the earthquake in Myanmar are slow-moving. The country is grappling with the natural disaster plus an ongoing humanitarian crisis amid the civil war since 2021. The death toll has now risen past 2,
The US has been unable to meaningfully respond to the Myanmar earthquake due to recent foreign aid cuts, according to three former senior US officials. One former US Agency for International Development (USAID) mission director for Myanmar told the BBC that "America has been on the sidelines" after the disaster.
Hours after a 7.7-magnitude earthquake devastated Myanmar on Friday, sending dangerous tremors across Southeast Asia, the American officials charged with responding to the disaster received their termination letters from Washington.
The death toll continues to rise above 3,000 from the March 28 quake in the Southeast Asian country. U.S. President Donald Trump has said the country will send aid.
As U.S. experts head to Myanmar to assist in recovery from the Southeast Asia earthquake, teams from China are filling the void.
Explore more
The true impact of the massive earthquake in Myanmar is starting to reveal itself. The military government says the official death toll is more than 2,000 people and hundreds are still missing. Thousands more are injured and homeless.
A three-member assessment team’s departure was delayed by problems obtaining visas from Myanmar’s military rulers. Read more at straitstimes.com.
A U.S. team has yet to arrive in Myanmar after last week’s 7.7-magnitude earthquake, while China has already rescued six people and committed $14 million in humanitarian aid.